The Jeanette C. Cannada / Red Ribbon Memorial Scholarship 2015 Winners Announced!
This year, Greenville Family Partnership has awarded two Jeanette C. Cannada/Red Ribbon Memorial Scholarships in honor of Jeanette Cannada, a founding member who gave 30 years of service to education and the prevention of alcohol, tobacco, and other drug use among youth.
The two recipients are Charlotte Ruble, a senior at St. Joseph’s Catholic School, and Breauna Young, a senior at Greenville Technical Charter High School. Ms. Ruble plans to attend the University of South Carolina to major in exercise science and later, physical therapy. Ms. Young plans to attend the University of South Carolina Upstate to obtain a degree in nursing.
For more information on the scholarship, please access the links below.
JOIN THE FUN!
Red Ribbon Golf Classic 2015!
Benefiting Greenville Family Partnership & Chris & Kelly's HOPE Foundation!
Monday, September 21, 2015
Check in Times: 7:30AM / 12:30PM
Start Times: 8:00AM / 1:00PM
Green Valley Country Club, 225 Green Valley Drive, Greenville, SC 29617
For more information or sponsorship opportunities, contact Katherine Royal at 467-4099; view the golf flyer; visit the "Red Ribbon Golf Classic"; or follow us on Facebook!
Parents! Keep Kids "Internet Safe"!
While the internet can be a great past-time because it opens doors to worlds in which most of us would never come in contact, it also presents some risks and even dangers when it comes to personal safety and financial security...!
“Internet Safety Month” encourages parents to take steps to protect children from cyberbullies and child predators and encourages individuals to safeguard their identity and their finances from criminals living a world away who are looking to make millions of quick bucks. To learn how to be “internet safe”, visit OnGuardOnline.gov!
- Safe Homes Parent Support Network
- "A Parent's Guide to the Teen Brain
- "Above the Influence (for teens)
- Bath Salts, K2 / Spice – A Synthetic Drug Guide for Parents and Other Influencers
- Crucial Conversations Tip Card
- DEA Synthetic Drugs Fact Sheets
- Dragonfly: What this Deadly New Drug Means for Your Family!
- "Drugs of Abuse for Parents"
- Easy-to-Read Drug Facts / National Institute on Drug Abuse
- Family Check Up: Positive Parenting Prevents Drug Abuse
- Get Smart About Drugs / DEA
- How to Talk to Your Kids About Substance Abuse! (She Knows.com)
- Marijuana Use & Educational Outcomes Graphic (NIDA)
- Media Awareness: A School Guide (AdMedia)
- Parental Engagement Isn’t Rocket Science: Commentary
- “Parenting Drug-Free Children” Newsletter (Research Institute on Addictions)
- Parents’ Translational Research Center / Treatment Research Institute
- PACT 360 (Partnership for a Drug Free America)
- Put Your Medicines Up and Away and Out of Sight!
- Smart Moves, Smart Choices (Prescription Drug Abuse Prevention)
- Talking to Your Child About Drugs (Recovery Connection)
- Teaching Kids About Drugs and Alcohol (Addiction 401)
- Teen Drinking Infographic: Your Teens Are Listening. What Are You Saying? (MADD)
- Too Smart to Start
Parenting Classes—enhance the parenting skills of parents, grandparents, and other caring adults; help in the development of positive discipline, communication & anger management skills, and increase the knowledge of alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs.
GFP offers the following parenting classes:
- Parenting Wisely — enhances parenting skills & instills confidence in parents of young children. Download Brochure
- Back in Control — helps parents get “back in control” when a kid or teen is “out of control” (Provided in Cooperation with the SC Dept. of Juvenile Justice) Download Brochure
- TransParenting - helps divorced parents communicate effectively in regards to children to lessen the negative effects of divorce on kids; it is nationally recognized by courts and attorneys. More Info or Download Brochure
- Other Classes
Parenting Classes may also be tailored to suit a particular topic or audience. For more information or to schedule a parenting class, contact Lynn Hooper or Terry Taylor at 467-4099. Or, you may send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Have You Heard That A New Brand Of E-cigarettes Is Being Promoted As A Newer, Hipper, Cooler Cigarette? Do you think that smoking e-cigarettes is safer than smoking regular cigarettes? Or, do you think the vapor emitted by e-cigarettes is just as dangerous as secondhand smoke?
To read this and other blog articles; national drug trend news; local opinion; and to view our community events calendar and drug prevention newsletters, visit our Blog. If you have an opinion you would like to share, we would love to hear it.
THE PARENT KIT
If you are a parent who feels at a loss as to what to say when it comes to talking to your teens about alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs, then you may want to access the "Your Child Didn't Come with an Owner's Manual" Parent Kit.